Because there’s not a whole lot to say about every single juvenile filly in this grade I race, I won’t bother to do much handicapping apart from a few notes. Plus, THERE’S FIFTEEN OF THEM! That’s a whole lot of babies, hope there won’t be too many veer-outs and the myriad of other issues you can expect to see from a field of green racehorses. This is another “Win and You’re In” Breeders’ Cup Challenge race with a berth for the Juvenile Fillies race. Here’s the field for the Keeneland event:
$400,000 Darley Alcibiades Stakes (I) - 2-Year-Old Fillies. 1 1/16 miles on Polytrack at Keeneland. Post Time: Friday, October 7 at 5:45pm
[Post Position, Horse (Pedigree) - Jockey, Trainer - Brief summary & opinion if any]
1) Putthebabiesdown (Closing Argument x Turtle Beach, by Out of Place) - Alan Garcia, Ken McPeek - Tough competitor for my favorite name. One win and a third from 3 career starts.
2) Flashy Lassie [pictured] (Flashy Bull x Lemon Pop Lassie, by Lemon Drop Kid) - Kent Desormeaux, Garry Sims - No doubt going to be one of the hot favorites after winning the Debutante (III) handily. She has two wins and a second in 3 total starts.
3) Venetian Sonata (Bernardini x Moonlight Sonata, by Carson City) - Jesus Castanon, Will Helmbrecht - Her full brother Wilburn scorched the field this past weekend in the Indiana Derby (II), so high hopes are abound.
4) Tu Endei Wei (Johar x Ms. Cornstalk, by Indian Charlie) - James McAleney, Reade Baker - Undefeated Canadian filly and a half sister to Canadian Horse of the Year Biofuel. This one is going to be a key favorite after winning the Ontario Debutante Stakes.
5) Sweet Cat (Kitten’s Joy x Claire’s Smile, Carson City) - John Velazquez, Todd Pletcher - A win and a second out of 2 career starts for the dangerous Velazquez-Pletcher combo. Perfect turf pedigree.
6) Egg Drop (Alphabet Soup x Rehocracy, by Adhocracy) - Joe Talamo, Mike Mitchell - One-for-one, gray filly in the field ridden by Joe Talamo.
7) Stephanie’s Kitten (Kitten’s Joy x Unfold the Rose, by Catienus) - Corey Lanerie, Wayne Catalano - Product of the Ramsey breeding operation, one win and two thirds out of 3 total starts. Another turf pedigree to Polytrack.
8) New Wave (Tale of the Cat x Ecology, by Unbridled’s Song) - Julien Leparoux, George Arnold - One win and a second out of 3 total starts for this striking gray filly.
9) And Why Not (Street Cry [IRE] x Alchemist, by A.P. Indy) - Garrett Gomez, Michael Matz - My favorite in the field who has all the makings and right connections to be really good. A maiden win and a third in the Spinaway (I) out of 2 total starts.
10) Frolic’s Revenge (Vindication x Stormy Frolic, by Summer Squall) - Juan Leyva, Milton Wolfson - Second-most experienced entry with 5 total starts, yielding two wins, a second, and two thirds.
11) Heart of Destiny (Lion Heart x Doc’s Destiny, by Doc’s Leader) - Edgar Prado, James Baker - Two starts yielding a win and a third for this chestnut filly.
12) Cheerleader (Flashy Bull x Destiny’s Yield, by High Yield) - Jamie Theriot, Bret Calhoun - One-for-one gray filly.
13) Tavern On the Bay (Offlee Wild x Terrified Ice, by Darn That Alarm) - Victory Lebron, Danny Turner - Most experienced entry with 6 total starts yielding a win, a second, and two thirds.
14) Ann of the Dance (English Channel x Dans La Ville, by Winning) - Rajiv Maragh, James DiVito - 3 total starts yielding two wins and a third.
15) On Fire Baby (Smoke Glacken x Ornate, by Gilded Time) - Joe Johnson, Gary Hartlage - One-for-one gray filly.