You’re hardly a horse racing fan if you don’t like watching the Triple Crown races, and with three long months left on the calendar, it’s going to be a painful wait. Or is it…?
To celebrate the epicness that is the Run for the Roses and the unveiling of the new GallopingHatRack.com makeover, I’m giving away three special prize packs to participating followers who can pick the most winners of the following upcoming prep races!:
- WEEK 1 - SUNDAY, JANUARY 29 - Holy Bull Stakes (III) at Gulfstream
- WEEK 2 - SATURDAY, FEBRUARY 4 - Robert B. Lewis Stakes (II) at Santa Anita
- WEEK 3 - SATURDAY, FEBRUARY 11 - Hutcheson Stakes (III) at Gulfstream
- WEEK 4 - SUNDAY, FEBRUARY 19 - San Vicente Stakes (II) at Santa Anita
- WEEK 5 - SATURDAY, FEBRUARY 25 - Risen Star Stakes (II) at Fairgrounds
- WEEK 6 - SATURDAY, MARCH 3 - Gotham Stakes (III) at Aqueduct
- WEEK 7 - SATURDAY, MARCH 10 - Tampa Bay Derby (II) at Tampa Bay
- WEEK 8 - SATURDAY, MARCH 17 - Rebel Stakes (II) at Oaklawn
- WEEK 9 - SATURDAY, MARCH 25 - Spiral Stakes (III) at Turfway
- WEEK 10 - SATURDAY, MARCH 31 - Florida Derby (I) at Gulfstream
- WEEK 11 - SATURDAY, APRIL 7 - Wood Memorial (I) at Aqueduct
- WEEK 12 - SATURDAY, APRIL 14 - Arkansas Derby (I) at Oaklawn
- Tie-breaker race will be held the following week if needed.
How do I enter?
- Follow the blog
- Each week, enter your first, second, and third place picks for the given race via the ask box or send me an email if Tumblr happens to be broken for the billionth time (Dawnawood AT gmail dot com). Races and available picks will be posted weekly on Thursday, accompanied by handicapping picks and analysis by moi. Entries can be submitted no less than 60 minutes before post time.
- Correct entries will be noted and tracked weekly with a leaderboard you can check here. I will message you directly back to let you know I got your entry, and if it’s too late I’ll let you know that as well.
- You may only make one guess of the placings per race. You can jump in the contest at any time and can handicap for any number of races (though duh, you should obviously guess all of them if you can).
- You’re responsible for knowing any scratches the day of racing. I will do my best to update the horses before then, but ultimately it’s up to you to submit a replacement guess if the horse is scratched for whatever reason at any time. Again, message or email me with a replacement three-horse guess if yours includes one or more scratched horses.
What can I win?
I don’t know yet exactly. Probably something horse racing-related. If not there’s always underwear. Watch the Contest page for updates on the prizes ;)
How are winners determined?
For each correct first, second, or third place pick (win, place, show), you will be awarded 3, 2, and 1 points respectively. Land the exacta (first and second in order) and be awarded an additional 3 points while a trifecta (first, second, and third in order) reaps you an additional 5 points.
Are international peeps eligible?
Everypony’s welcome to enter. Hey if you’re good enough to win this you probably deserve it that much more!
I’m not good at handicapping…
A good ol’ guess never hurt anyone. I’ll be posting the usual race preview with thoughts and notes on each entry every week, but I also recommend alternate sources such as Brisnet and Equibase or just reading up on the horses themselves ahead of time.