Always a tough race to pick apart, the Juvenile Fillies Turf (I) field is full of talent and mystique once again this year. As a predictor of future success more so than its dirt (and even male) counterpart, the favorites are always vulnerable and this year that is especially true with Santa Anita’s weird downhill turf course. Fillies near or at their peak are going to be favored in my book.
- Sky Lantern [IRE]* - The Richard Hannon-trained daughter of sprinter Red Clubs [IRE] has won 3 of 5 starts (all wins were on wet turf) in the competitive Euro ranks, including the G1 Moyglare. She’s never done worse than 2nd and looks to be one to beat.
- Spring Venture* - Trained by Mark Casse, the Spring At Last filly proved game winning the Natalma (II) and she’s a perfect 3-for-3 closing in from off-the-pace.
- Sustained - The War Front daughter is part of the Romans-trained force, never off the board in some dicey races of which she has won 1 of 3 in a maiden special weight coming from near the back. Aims to keep improving.
- Tara From the Cape - The Leroidsanimaux [BRZ] filly is hot out of Pletcher’s barn, who is responsible for a lot of juvenile success in and out of the Breeders’ Cup. She has won 2 of 4 and is usually off-the-pace.
- The Gold Cheongsam [IRE] - Another Red Clubs [IRE] daughter, she has won 3-of-7 this year in turf sprints and was 3rd last out in her stakes debut. Stretch-out is not for sure against top class.
- Kitten’s Point - The Graham Motion trainee by Kitten’s Joy was defeated a narrow nose in her second start in the loaded Jessamine (III) going 5-wide. A sharp closer that should keep improving.
- Moonwalk* - The Malibu Moon filly has never been off the board and was a much-improved winner in the Jessamine (III) last out lying close to the pace.
- Nancy O - By successful sire Pivotal [GB], Nancy O was out-of-place last out in the dirt Frizette (I) and is still a maiden who has yet to get a clean trip in any of her races. She was squeezed tight in her 3rd in the Natalma (II), so she could very well be a live longshot who just needs room.
- Flotilla [FR] - The Mizzen Mast daughter broke her maiden easily enough, and while she has been off-the-board in her other 3 starts, she wasn’t too far off the leaders in her native France.
- Waterway Run - Yay for Arch babies! 4-for-3 total and 2 of those wins coming on wet grass, the English shipper was a well-oft winner in her starts and is a G3 winner being introduced to the route.
- Flashy Ways - The Catienus daughter is 2-for-2 and a winner at a mile on Santa Anita’s course, winning the Surfer Girl Stakes last out.
- Watsdachances [IRE]* - The Diamond Green [FR] filly is 3-for-4 and never off the board, and won the Ms Grillo (III) by a safe 2 1/4 lengths despite a rough trip. Trained by Chad Brown, she’ll be a good favorite.
- Summer of Fun - The Include filly was barely ousted for the win in the tight Jessamine (III), losing by a head to be 3rd and has won at 1 1/16 miles in her maiden. She prefers to be close to the pace and is fierce holding it down.
- Oscar Party - The Dixie Union daughter trained by Wayne Catalano was 4th in the tough Jessamine (III) and before that swept her maiden pretty easily in the Kentucky Downs Juvenile Fillies.
I’ll give my top 3 picks and value pick for the Juvenile Fillies Turf (I) next week.
Kitten’s Point - Graham Motion is a top-class conditioner and Kitten’s Joy has it down-pat as a prolific juvenile sire for turf runners. This filly is also a very good, improving runner.
Sky Lantern [IRE] - Super tough in the Euro ranks, I hope she can ship
Sustained - War Front is great for siring excellent juveniles, and she looks to keep improving
Watsdachances [IRE] - Excellent filly with a trainer I trust
Flotilla [FR] - I simply must include her for shipping in from France without a berth. She could be sitting on a breakthrough.